Over the past ten years, artificial intelligence has taken huge strides, but few have attracted as much attention as OpenAI’s GPT-3.
But what actually is GPT-3? And what is OpenAI?
GPT-3, short for “Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3,” is a large language model created by a company called OpenAI.
It employs deep learning to produce text that resembles that of a human and currently has 175 billion parameters (the highest yet), empowering it with remarkable accuracy.
Or, in not-so-geek words, it is your assistant that produces human-like text to create pieces of content and code. All you have to do is feed it with text input about your exact requirements.
If you want to get an idea of its power, hear this: GPT-3 has passed the MBA exam conducted by a Wharton University professor.
Sounds great? Well, then, it will be even more exciting for you once we show you how to use GPT-3 for your various tasks and boost your productivity. But first, let’s delve into what are some of the various things you can do with it.
Table of Content
What Can GPT-3 Do for You?
GPT-3 is here to serve you. And you can make the most out of it if you know what it can do for you. So let’s explore:
1. Research information and answer questions
Have some questions you want an answer to? Then use GPT-3 to get responses to questions that are strikingly similar to those of a human expert.
Let’s say that you are writing a blog and want to research information for a commonly nagging question that your target audience has. Just turn it to GPT-3, and you will be done with your research in a matter of minutes.
Note: It isn’t a replacement for human expertise. But it is good to get you going.
2. Spark ideas
Sometimes, all you need is just a prompt to find the missing piece of the puzzle. So instead of waiting for that prompt to arrive, let GPT-3 ease things for you by sparking ideas and creativity in you.
To give you an example, consider for a moment that you want to get birthday ideas for a 10-year-old kid.
So upon prompting it with the query, “Got any creative ideas for a 10-year-old’s birthday?” here is a part of the reply it gave to me:
Of course! Here are some fun and creative ideas for a 10-year-old’s birthday party:
- Themed party: Let the birthday child choose their favorite themes, such as superheroes, princesses, or pirates. Then, decorate the party space with matching decorations and costumes.
- Scavenger hunt: Set up a scavenger hunt around the house or in the backyard. Hide clues that will lead the party guests to the final treasure, like a piñata filled with candy or small toys.
- DIY crafts: Set up a craft table and let the party guests create their own party favors, like tie-dyed t-shirts or friendship bracelets.
In total, it gave us 7 birthday ideas and would have given even more if pushed further. Isn’t that great?
3. Create content
One of GPT-3’s most impressive abilities is its ability to produce a text of exceptional quality that reads like it was written by a human.
This is made possible with concepts like deep learning, machine learning, and natural language processing. It allows GPT-3 to understand your inputs and produce relevant content. Thus, you can use it for
- Content creation
For example, next time you are looking to write a blog article or a social media post, just type in the relevant prompt and a word count and see what it gives you. If you are satisfied, that’s great. If not, then tell it what needs to be changed.
4. Write code
When we said text, we didn’t just mean content. OpenAI’s GPT-3 is equally capable of helping you with writing code as well. All you have to do is tell your requirement and the programming language you want your code in.
For example, if you are looking to write Python code for Tic-Tac-Toe, here is the code at work which it gave us for the query:
“Write me short code python code to create a tic-tac-toe game”
5. Translate content
The text generation capability of GPT-3 isn’t limited to English. Thus, the accurate language translation is also possible with it.
GPT-3 can produce an accurate and contextually appropriate translation when given a piece of text in one language and the target language. So, you can use it for various purposes, such as:
- Businesses can translate contracts and other documents to communicate with clients and partners around the world effectively.
- Travellers can navigate foreign nations and cultures more easily by using GPT-3 to translate travel documents and websites.
- We all can communicate across linguistic and cultural boundaries by translating personal communications like emails and social media posts.
Got an idea of its power? Now let’s see what it cannot do.
What GPT-3 Cannot Do for You?
Although GPT-3 is a remarkable and potent language model, it has quite a few limitations, such as:
1. Critical thinking
GPT-3 lacks the capacity for critical thought, which prevents it from arriving at sound conclusions or assessments of the information.
It can produce text that seems to make sense, but it might not always be accurate or trustworthy.
2. Common sense reasoning
Common sense is very uncommon, even in GPT-3. Thus, it might produce information that is factually correct but does not always make sense in practical contexts.
In other words, you need to have a human’s common sense at work.
3. Contextual understanding
It isn’t aware of the overall context of the queries you are asking. Thus, this could result in mistakes and inaccuracies.
Additionally, it is easily fooled by inaccurate or biased information, which can produce subpar results.
Pro tip: Be as much detailed as possible so that GPT-3 can understand your needs better.
Prompting it “Give me creative ideas for….” won’t turn on its creativity. It only gives you results from its database. GPT-3 is not creative in the same way that people are.
It can produce text that seems creative and original, but it is unable to independently innovate or come up with novel ideas.
5. Moral judgment
We humans have a conscience about what is right and wrong based on our morals and values. Well, OpenAI’s GPT-3 lacks it.
Yes, it will reject giving answers to inappropriate queries, but that doesn’t make up for its lack of moral principles. Without this ability, it may produce text that is insensitive, offensive, or inappropriate.
Now you are introduced to both sides of GPT-3. So let’s move on to how you can use GPT-3 to make the most out of it.
How to Use GPT-3?
If you are looking to maximize the capabilities of GPT-3, the step-by-step instructions below will help you to get started:
1. Choose an appropriate platform
The first and important step is to choose a platform that is powered by GPT-3. The reason is because GPT-3 is available through several platforms like OpenAIs GPT-3 Playground, Hugging Face, EleutherA, and AI Dungeon. Each platform offers distinct features, pricing structures, and user interfaces hence it’s crucial to select a platform that complements your particular use case.
2. Create an account
To access GPT-3, you must first make an account on the platform of your choice by signing in. Usually, this entails giving your email address, making a password, and confirming your account by sending yourself a confirmation email, phone number or using another method.
3. Choose an API plan
GPT-3 platforms offer different API plans based on the needs and usage limits. Hence, choose a plan that is as per the requirement or the number of requests.
4. Get your API key
Now that you have chosen an API plan, an API access key is needed for the platform of GPT-3. This API key acts as the authentication token, and this needs to be included in every API request.
5. Integrate the API
Based on the platform and programming language, the integration of API may vary. But, there is also several documentation available which explains how to integrate the API.
6. Send a prompt
Prompt is the input that GPT-3 uses to generate response or output. Hence, it is important to provide appropriate prompts so that the GPT-3 gives relevant and accurate responses. You can also provide additional prompts to GPT-3 based on the platform you are using.
7. Get the response
GPT-3 will produce a response based on the text prompt or any extra parameters that have been specified. The response may contain text, pictures, or other types of media based on the prompt.
8. Refine the response
The final step involves refining the response as per the requirement. It may include additional prompts to get answers to the point or to modify the prompts to adjust the tone, style, or level of detail in the response. Thus, refining the response helps to get high-quality content that can meet the specific needs.
Above were the steps that involve using GPT-3, going ahead, let us check some examples on how GPT-3 can be used.
Examples of GPT-3
GPT-3 has several examples of its usage, some of them are:
1. The most common example of GPT-3 is the ChatGPT language model. This is helpful in generating human-like responses based on user input or prompts. To simplify, GPT-3 is being incorporated into the Chatbots.
2. Another example is DALL-E which is an image generating tool. It is also based on the version of GPT-3, GPT-3 is provided training on both aspects (text and image) to generate a response as per the user’s prompt.
3. Some other uses of GPT-3 include:
- Content creation for marketing or creative writing
- Automated customer service
- Used to analyze large data and generate insights
- Multiple healthcare applications like medical reports or diagnoses
GPT-3 model can be utilized for several other AI applications provided that it is effectively used. Let us dive into some tips on how to use it effectively.
Useful Tips on How to Use GPT-3 Model
Below are some tips on using GPT-3 model effectively:
1. As GPT-3 creates responses based on the human requests, hence the prompt must be explicit and precise.
2. You can alter the output and the prompts using various parameters to suit your needs.
3. Using GPT-3 in conjunction with other tools to ensure a high quality response.
4. Ensure that the response created is appropriate for the target audience at all times.
5. To increase accuracy, make sure that GPT-3 is trained on relevant data sets.
6. Employ the readability, coherence, and correctness criteria to assess the generated text.
7. Keep up with technological advances to be competitive.
These tips can really be helpful to unlock the full potential of GPT-3 and take your business to the next level.
There are several other large language models besides GPT-3, including
To know more, check out this guide where we have explained GPT-3 alternatives in detail.
These are the benefits of using GPT-3:
- Saves your time
- Enhances your production capability
- Give you information that would have been otherwise hard to find
- Give you ideas and spark your thoughts
So, are you excited to enjoy more power?
The world has already started using this amazing new tool at full throttle.
Embracing it now will give you a great advantage over your competitors who are still stuck with traditional tools.